Skip to content

Day: December 7, 2017

Interview Questions for a First Marketer

I have a bunch of questions for Product Designers that I have evolved over time. However, I don’t think I have ever done the same exercise for Marketing. The context is the “first marketer” in a company. At Marketo, this was Kelly Abner. He did an awesome job and helped the product development by being his usual brutally honest self. So I’ve been thinking about questions I could ask. Not all of these will end up in the interview, but here are some: Topic 1: Traffic Cop “Are you aware of the Marketo Traffic Cop? Do you like it?” If…

The Care Pie

We all care about lots of decisions. However, it’s not healthy to argue about every single decision. In fact, it’s not healthy to argue about 90% of the decisions that are made. I talk to people about the Decision-Care Pie. This is a pie-chart that has two parts. The first part is the 10%. These are the decisions that you truly should argue about. You should be passionate and defend your position. I sometimes call this “Using your chips”. The other part is 90%. These are the decisions that you should NOT argue about. You should let other people decide.…