Recovered from Archive.org – Apr 5, 1997
Just to keep us all up to date, here is the landscape of Online Access choices:
- America Online: 5 Million customers, crappy browser.
(Funny quote from Internet Underground:
“Steve Case thinks that Marketing America Online in Europe with just the initials “AOL” is going to fool the residents of an entire continent.”)
- Compuserve: My dad’s email is 104370.154…whats up with that?!? At Compuserve you really ARE a number!
- Prodigy: Trying a $1 per hour deal. Yawn, how quaint.
- AT&T: I ordered the software…six to eight weeks delivery. Can I download it? No. Click me to know what I said.
- MCI: Still in development; so are the plans for a web design franchise. Geared towards business.
- Netcom: Huge Network, uses Netcruiser. trying to get bigger.
- MSN: Growing steadily, custom designed for Internet Explorer and Win95.
- Genie: Looks cool, gets no press and costs too much.
- Independent Service Providors: Getting pushed out by megacorps.
- Coming soon: @Home, but not that soon.
Prediction: Online Services follow America Online model through to broadband, ISPs slowly lose market share.