Show me how you would build a 6″ wooden box. Show me the design and the steps.
It’s a dazzlingly deceptive question. To any question regarding the requirements, my answer is “You tell me.” I can imagine variations in what people might come up with. Different ways to:
- Decorate the wood (carved, painted, stained, sanded)
- Put it together (Pegs, nails, glue)
- Measure (tape measure, eyeball)
- Cutting (saw, large machinery
- Box innards (jack-in-the-box, empty, etc)
I wonder if there is a correlation between creativity in describing a box and creativity in B2B product design. Or between diligence and quality of the steps and their ability to follow-through on a design.
This may be my next design question. I’m not hiring yet, but eventually.
I’m going to have to think about what kind of box I would design. I have no idea why it’s so interesting to me, but it is.