After 9 years of Marketo and 2 years of Engagio, I am moving on to a non-martech product. Engagio has a great future ahead of it and as a shareholder, I fully expect them to go public and be worth billions of dollars.
I think I have built a good product foundation at Engagio that hopefully will serve them well for years to come. I have made great friends there that hopefully will stay in touch with me.
As for Marketing, I have appreciated all of you and how wonderful it is to design products for you. There are so many moments of pride and awe in my relationship with marketing departments around the world and specifically the Bay Area. Some marketing shout-outs: (in order I met them)
- To Kelly Abner, my first marketing guinea pig. He made Marketo a workable product more than any other human being. His feedback was golden.
- To Jon Miller who taught me how thought leadership can build a billion dollar brand.
- To Jen Erale and Jodi Florence, the two first marketers I ever taught Marketo to.
- To Emily Salus who created the hardest problems to solve, but made the product better.
- To Maria Pergolino who taught me what inbound marketing was and how to run an event. She is a force of nature.
- To Jason Miller who invented content marketing before my eyes. Incredibly creativity oozes from him.
- To Heather Watkins and Liz Courter who were the best customer marketers I have known.
- To Sandra Freeman who is the best field/event marketing person in the world – She took care of me at every Summit and I thank her for every memory.
- To Jeff Cowan who will always be the “voice of god” at any event in my mind.
- To Davis Lee – creative services counts as marketing damnit! (Nathan Brauer, you count too)
- To Josh Hill who wrote a 800 page book on Marketo and inspired Docs.marketo.com
- To Joelle Kaufman the best CMO (and general executive) I have ever met.
- To Jason Seeba who continues to be the model for creativity and excellence in marketing.
- To Kristen Malkovich who was the inspiration for Engagio Playmaker and Scout.
- To Jessica Cross who said “Thank you for my career” and made my heart melt. This means more to me than you know and I will carry it with me forever.
- To Grant Grigorian who trusted me to take his baby and rename it Dash.
- To everyone I forgot to mention. I know there are tons of you.
It’s a sad moment, but I am excited to build a new thing. I’ll give more detail on that later.
I don’t know what the future will hold and how our paths may cross in the future. All I can hope is that each of us is inspired by the people we work with and continue to move the world forward.