I have a serious feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. In 2016, I felt confident in the morning and sadness and despair slowly built up during the day. Today, I am exhausted with all of the 2020 nonsense. I am sick and tired of there being news every single day. I can’t stand Trump’s constant tweeting. I am fed up with the disdain for science that people shout while using the technology that science gave us to do the shouting in the first place.
Bottom line: I need this nightmare to end. I just got back from voting and hope you voted (if you can) today as well.
Best Case Scenario
- Biden wins. Democrats take Senate and local state houses. Landslide wave election.
- Trump steps down without riots and violence.
- States adopt the Interstate Compact and we can finally be done with the Electoral College.
- Upon inauguration, Biden undoes most of Trumps executive orders and replaces the mid-level employees of the government with people who care about their jobs.
- Biden leans into national testing and contact tracing programs.
- A democratic dominate government passes a massive energy overhaul program and gets rid of oil and replaces it with wind, solar, and other renewable energy sources as quickly as possible.
- Basic science research is funded.
- Subsidies are massively overhauled to stop giving money to poor industries and start giving it to better ones, like electric cars and wind farms.
- Education programs are overhauled to stop focusing on tests and start to focus on quality including funding the arts and music.
- The Supreme and Federal Courts are reformed to make them less partisan. Term limits probably are a good idea.
- World Peace. Science. Progress. Happiness.
Worst Case Scenario
- We don’t find out who wins and it turns into a full blown revolution.
- Trump supporters start rounding up Biden supporters and several high profile democrats disappear.
- Trump declares martial law and suspends the congress.
- Russian trumps arrive to support the Trump regime and occupy Washington DC.
- The Internet is censored and progressive voices are stamped out.
- Facial recognition and AI is used for Pro-Trump militias to target and eliminate opposition.
- There is a mass flight of people to Canada and other countries.
- A nuclear weapon is … I can’t finish this sentence.
I have never been as scared for our future as I am today. This day is way more pivotal than any other day in my lifetime. More important than the 2000 election, which I think massively changed the course of history. Way more important than 9/11.
I don’t know. I just don’t know.
I am hopeful. Neither the best, nor the worst case scenario will happen. I will definitely be disappointed with some of the outcome. Whatever happens, we will experience it together. For better or for worse.