This is the second time that I am blogging that I am leaving Marketo. I joined the company, as the first non-founding employee, in 2007. Then, in 2009 I left to try a different company and progress my career. After nine months, I realized that I missed Marketo and they missed me. So I rejoined in May of 2010.
During my time at Marketo, I have invented and designed wonderful products and features, made hundreds of long-lasting relationships with excellent professionals, and led people towards an exciting and prosperous vision. I have been in charge (at various times) of product management, UX, product marketing, documentation and other random initiatives. I contributed towards culture, education, support and numerous other parts of the company. Marketo went public a few years ago and made many people in the company a good deal of money. Not enough to stop working but enough to be very proud.
Marketo’s customers are amazing. They are so focused on improving their companies and the marketing departments position in the company. They love great experiences and products. I am honored to have helped them on their career defining journey.
Some awesome moments and things I remember:
- Watching Hillary Clinton, front row center, with my son, while 6,000 employees behind me filled Moscone West
- The first Marketo summit in San Mateo
- Training Jodi Florence and Jen Erale, the first two customers
- Figuring out Emily Salus’ use cases on the whiteboard with David Morandi
- Inventing SmartLists with Paul Abrams
- Watching the infamous Crash demo
- The login with the flowers animating down the screen
- Talking to Maria Pergolino and Jason Miller late at night and trying to get their features built
- My Lincoln on a Bear speech
- Helping Patricia with the support system decision
- Convincing Carina Boo to take a year off school to work for me
- My year with Srini, best manager I ever had
- Spending Fourth of July in Portland with Shaun Klopfenstein
- Teaching Atanasio Segovia everything I could and watching him create Marketo Moments without my help
- Mentoring designers like Jenny Chang and Kai Haas on projects
- Collaborating with Anna Zeman on my last design
- And countless more moments…
There are so many more people like Cheryl Chavez, MJ Jeswani, Justin Cooperman, Erik Rehn, TJ Kim, AJ Nair, Kelly Abner, Wei Liu, Ian Taylor, Scott Edmonds, Nick Valldeperas, Pavel Kramer, Jon Miller and of course, Phil Fernandez; all of whom I treasure the memories and experiences. I am forgetting so many people, It’s a blur.
Sometimes, I imagine my last 9 years as a parade. You are exciting in the beginning and watch all of these people pass you by. They come and smile and then leave. Its heart wrenching to watch your second family go. Eventually, you realize the parade will go on and on and that it is you who must depart.
The last nine years have been rewarding in many ways. Although, I might have changed a few things, I still profited in every way imaginable. I am a better designer and leader having had my Marketo journey. I will miss it terribly.
I’m sorry if I have forgotten your name here. Just comment and I will fix it. You all will be in my heart for the rest of my life. I love you all.
Farewell and good luck.